We Support STEM Education!
S. W. Cole Engineering, Inc. actively supports the education of students in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics subjects, known as the STEM fields. The skills and knowledge students gain from learning about these subjects are indispensable in the workplace, especially in a technical position.
In a 2010 report to the President of the United States, the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology wrote, "The success of the United States in the 21st century—its wealth and welfare—will depend on the ideas and skills of its population. These have always been the Nation’s most important assets. As the world becomes increasingly technological, the value of these national assets will be determined in no small measure by the effectiveness of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education in the United States."
S. W. Cole understands this, and to do our part, in 2011 we sponsored the first "Dig Into Science" contest. In this competition, students in grades 1 through 12 told S. W. Cole, via video, how science and engineering affected their daily lives. Six groups of students each won a $1,000 stipend to attend a science- or engineering-related field trip. The contest was repeated in 2012, and this year's contest was announced in May 2013.
S. W. Cole's interest in STEM education does not end there; the firm strives to promote STEM education at all times. We will use this page to keep our clients, friends and colleagues informed about STEM events and news, especially in northern New England.
Recent STEM news includes:
- University of Vermont trustees OK funding for STEM initiative.
- STEM fund key to U.S. global competitiveness
- UNH-Manchester's STEM Discovery Lab opening in fall 2013
- USA Science and Engineering Festival dates announced
- UMaine graduate students conduct research for STEM council
- Governor LePage recognizes students excelling in STEM subjects
- Veasie, ME teacher chosen for STEM program
- Bangor High School receives grant for S.T.E.M. Academy
- NH Senator Jeanne Shaheen praises Portsmouth Naval Shipyard's STEM efforts
- OPINION: Maine's Baxter Academy will address what public high schools can't
- Expanding Your Horizons Conference at UMaine focuses on STEM careers
- Forum highlights the need for more STEM graduates
STEM-related organizations we follow include:
- National Science Teachers Association
- Maine Mathematics and Science Alliance
- Association of Teachers of Mathematics in New England
- Maine Environmental Educators Association
- Association of Computer Technology Educators of Maine
- Maine Engineering Promotion Council
- New England Association of Technology Teachers
- New Hampshire Teachers of Mathematics
- New Hampshire Joint Engineering Societies
- Technology Students Association
- STEM Education Coalition
- Maine Pathways to STEM