Experienced Geoprofessionals and Excellent Service
From site assessments to compliance monitoring to spill prevention, our team of experienced geoenvironmental professionals provides a variety of environmental services to meet the specific needs of your project.
Environmental Site Assessments
- Phase I Site Assessments: For environmental due diligence, S.W.COLE performs Phase I ESAs to identify potential or existing contamination at a site.
- Phase II Site Investigations: Our Phase II investigations, performed for environmental due diligence and to develop contamination clean-up methods to meet environmental goals, include the evaluation of environmental site conditions.
- Vapor Intrusion Studies: Done in conjunction with site assessments, this service helps us identify the presence of potentially hazardous concentrations of soil-gas contamination.
- Voluntary Response Action Program (VRAP): We assist clients who want to participate in this Maine environmental program for investigation and remediation of contaminated sites and beneficial re-use of impacted soils exported from development sites.
Environmental Compliance Monitoring
This service involves the monitoring of soil, water, erosion control and other environmental conditions to meet the terms of the given permit (including landfill, wind farm construction, borrow pit, transfer station and other related permits).
We provide third-party inspectors who meet qualifications for certification in erosion and sedimentation control practices. Our third-party inspectors, acting as liaisons between the contractor and regulators, provide monitoring services ranging from initial erosion control implementation through final site stabilization.
Erosion and Sediment Control Plans
S.W.COLE can additionally assist in the development of an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan prior to construction, which would outline a description of the site, site plans, and construction details, inclusive of best management practices to be employed.
- Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasures (SPCC) Plan: S.W.COLE provides SPCC plans which help facilities prevent a discharge of oil into navigable waters or adjoining shorelines.
- Environmental Permitting: S.W.COLE can assist you in obtaining various environmental permits including:
Permits for Excavations of Borrow, Clay, Topsoil, or Silt and Natural Resources Protection Act (NRPA) Permits inclusive of Sand Dune System Permits.
National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) related permits such as the Maine Construction General Permit (MCGP), Multi-Sector General Permit for Stormwater Discharge Associated with Industrial Activity, Municipal Separate Stormwater Sewer System (MS4s) General Permits, and Municipal/Industrial Wastewater Discharge Permits.
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWP3): S.W.COLE can author SWP3s to assist facilities in the reduction or elimination of potential pollutant contact with stormwater. S.W.COLE can also assist with the sampling and record keeping associated with SWP3 maintenance.
- Hazardous Waste Assessments and Site Closures: Our services include environmental sampling for waste characterization analysis and comparison to regulatory exposure scenarios. Special waste includes soil containing non-hazardous concentrations of ash, grit, petroleum, sludge, etc. Services include volume estimates for on-site placement or off-site disposal, oversight of removal activities by qualified contractors, verification sampling for site closure and reporting by qualified professionals.
- Underground Storage Tank (UST) Assessments: When performing a UST assessment, S.W.COLE conducts a site characterization to evaluate tank, piping, soil, and groundwater conditions. We can coordinate with subcontractors for the pumping and cleaning of the existing tank (with characterization of the contents for disposal in accordance with regulatory requirements) as well as licensed tank installers / removers to remove the tank.